Chuck

Chuck

Saturday, May 2, 2020

Tale of Two Planes

Back again after six, almost 7 months. Wow this blogging seems to be harder to keep up with than originally anticipated. But I'll say again that just because I haven't been blogging doesn't mean I haven't been busy.

Since the last post I did finally finish my Tale of Two Planes. Actually I think I finished them in December. I did have a distraction come up before I finished that I will post up in a bit. Let's see if this quarantine thing can give me a chance to catch up. And now.....

A Tale of Two Planes:


I got the Heller Bf109B for my birthday last year. I've been wanting to do one of these from the Condor Legion for quite some time. Out getting some reference materials I decided WTH I'll get a later version and build them side by side.

So after perusing the aforementioned reference materials,
 I'm going straight out of the box for the E and going to change the numbers on the B. Otherwise strictly out of the box....well except here I go again detailing out the cockpits that no one will ever see adding seat belt harnesses and such.
I didn't get any other pictures of the build but skipped straight to the completed planes.









Interestingly enough the B has raised panel lines while the E has recessed panel lines. So here there will be a divergence in methods. I'm going to go with pre-shading on the B and just a pin wash on the E. We'll compare at the end.
So we're going to look at finishing up the B.
First base coat:

Looks good. Add another coat or maybe two in spots:
And now get ready for decals.
I had picked my plane and unfortunately (typically) it didn't have exactly what I wanted so I'm going to try freehand on the 3 and add kill markings. I didn't want the splinter camo either, I wanted the standard grey/green used in the Spanish Civil War. I mixed up a custom color and thankfully didn't have to do any touch up or correcting of errors because I don't think I could have duplicated that shade again.

It didn't turn out too bad.

I did decide to have an open cockpit for this one since it did come in 3 separate pieces to begin with. I also tried my hand at stretching sprue for the antenna. No finger burns! so that's a plus.

I think this is the finished product:

That's it for this post.

Next up I'll show you the Bf09 E.

*** I PROMISE IT WON'T BE ANOTHER SIX MONTHS FOR THE NEXT ONE ***

Thanks for stopping by.








No comments:

Post a Comment